Fundraising Ideas to Help Orphans
There is nothing that can convince others to get involved more than your enthusiasm for meeting the needs of orphans.
Here are a few ideas to consider as you decide to help those in greatest need.
Ideas for Anyone
Especially for Men and Men's Groups
- Host a dinner party or dessert night at your home and encourage guests to give a donation.
- Have a "Backyard Movie Night" and charge guests to enter and buy popcorn and drinks.
- Host a Rice Dinner: Serve rice and water (which is the meal most people in these countries eat) and have people give what they would have spent going out to dinner.
- Work with a local restaurant to promote a fundraising dinner. It is completely reasonable to ask for 20% of all sales.
- Participate in an athletic event and ask others to sponsor you to finish or donate by the mile.
- Host a Birthday Party for an orphanage and bring games and sports equipment for the children.
- Christmas Party for orphans: Have fun with friends or coworkers, but give to the kids instead of one another
- Have a garage sale and donate the profits to purchase a large item for an HOB need.
- February is Dental Health Month. Encourage family, friends and classmates to collect toothbrushes and toothpaste for the orphans.
- Host a theme shower such as baby , school, playground, linens etc. Display a photo of a large item where people in your organization can see it and allow them to donate towards the purchase of that item such as play fort, TV etc.
Especially for Girls, Women and Women's Groups
- Host a "Guys Night" to play pool, watch sports, etc. and challenge guests to donate to your cause.
- Host a Super Bowl Party or another televised sports event: host your friends and charge a cover, for concessions, and/or consider taking a collection. It's another way for friends of HOB to help others remember our kids once a year just doing what you do.
- Game Feast: Encourage friends to participate in a fresh game night during hunting season.
- Endurance Event: Encourage others who share a passion for fitness to participate and gather pledges for the sake of our kids.
- Pancake Breakfast, barbeque, fish fry, etc: encourage your friends or church men’s group to do this once a year selling tickets.
- Relays: Running, Mountain Biking, Iron Man, sporting.
- Tournaments: (Fishing, Golf, Boating, etc.) it doesn't have to be big. Just get your friends to participate and invite their friends.
Especially for Kids & Families
- Host a Back to Africa party at your home, school, church, or office. Proceeds from Back to Africa sales help fund our orphan care. Contact Faith or Shannon at 850.678.9008 for details.
- Pet Sitting - Lots of people travel during the summer and holidays and need someone to watch their pets. Use the money earned to help an orphan.
- Set up a “Donation” Lemonade/Baked Goods Stand - Put photos and information about Heart of the Bride on display and share what the money raised will go for. HOB can send you photos and info.
- Can Collections - Collect soda cans and take them to the recycling center near you. They will weigh & pay you for the cans you bring in.
- Sell Old DVD’s and Games - You can take dvd’s and computer games you no longer use to your area Gamestop or EB Games and sell them.
- Extra Chores - You can offer to do extra chores around your house to raise funds for children less fortunate than yourself.
- Yard Work - Pull weeds or if you are old enough; mow the yard. You can water plants, or if you have a garden pick the ripened vegetables.
- Host a “No Gifts for Me” Birthday Party - Ask the invited guests to bring the money they would have spent on a gift instead.
- Clean out your toy box - Hold a yard sale and sell your old toys for children who don’t have very many toys.
A FUNDRAISING SUCCESS STORY
Here is a great example of how people just like you can make a difference:
Over Christmas 2010, a couple from Michigan visited relatives in Kenya who work as missionaries in a community near House of Hope. They visited House of Hope and became aware of the critical need for a well on the property and the shortfall in funds to complete a project that’s been ongoing for over 2 years.
Prior to this trip they knew little about HOB and were not involved in our ministry.
They returned from Kenya and felt a burden to help raise awareness of Heart of the Bride and the well funding among their family and friends. The couple took action immediately and planned to host several dessert nights over a month’s time. We worked with them to provide details about HOB’s ministry and sent promotional resources they could use during their events. They said their friends are average working families with young kids and not much extra income to give but they were determined to share their burden and see what God would do to meet the need.
God has honored their efforts in a way that surprised and humbled all of us.
In less than a month and only two dessert nights their family and friends gave $14,196!
This story is so encouraging to us because it shows what people with a passion for helping orphans can accomplish if they put their heart into sharing this ministry with others. God’s provision and perfect timing have sustained this ministry through the efforts of our friends and partners and we trust that will continue. But the benefits are not just ours; it has also encouraged many people’s faith.
Here’s how this couple describes their experience:
“He [God] has been so faithful throughout this entire journey, and we are humbled by what He has done. Every time we would get overwhelmed by the amount of money left to raise another donation would arrive. It brings tears to my eyes to think about the fact that God used us for this project. He could have done it all on His own, but He gave us the privilege of being a part of it. We can't physically be present in Kenya to pour love and affection into the hearts of the precious children at House of Hope, but we can be advocates for them here in the States and provide assistance to those who are on the front lines in Kenya. We feel so blessed that God has allowed us to be a part of their lives.”
Are you ready to make a difference in the lives of orphans?
If you want to host a fundraiser event contact Michael at 850.678.9008 or email@example.com.